How much does land surveying cost?

 Many factors come into play when determining the cost of a survey including the type of survey, the type of terrain on the property and the availability of records and monumentation. In order to narrow down the cost we will need to do research on your property this costs $200. Since we would have to do an initial research for every job, the $200 will go towards the contract amount.  You will get any information we find on your property. Please call for an estimate 619-588-6747

What are the different types of Land Surveying?

A.L.T.A. Survey or Extended Title Insurance Coverage Survey – This survey is strictly geared towards companies purchasing commercial property. It is made for the purpose of supplying a title company and lender with survey and location data necessary for issuing American Land Title Association or Extended Coverage Title Insurance. The location of all improvements in relation to property lines as well as any easements and setback requirements are shown on this survey as well as any encroachments that exist.

Topography Survey – This survey locates topographic features, either natural or man-made. A topographic survey is usually required for planning and zoning purposes, site layout, construction or engineering and architectural design. A Topographic survey uses contour lines which show the shape of the land. The boundary is not certified in a topographic drawing.

Subdivision Survey – The subdivision of a track of land into smaller parcels, showing monumentation and survey data on a map, in conformance with local ordinances and the Subdivision Map Act.

Construction Survey – Construction staking of improvement shown on improvement plans for control of construction on developments for roads, buildings, pipelines, etc.

Boundary – This survey’s purpose is to locating the corners and boundary lines of a parcel. This Survey involves field research, measurements and calculations to establish boundary lines.

Site Planning – A site plan is usually only used for proposed construction of a structure or driveway. A site plan does not show easements or most existing improvements unless directly related to the new construction. The projected location of the structure/improvement is shown in relation to either property lines or existing improvements.

AS-Built / Plot Plan:  An as-built drawing shows all improvements on a property in their constructed locations.  This will be used to verify the location of newly constructed improvements/structures only, this is not an official survey and no property corners are set.

What is a Record of Survey and a Corner Record?

A Corner Record is filed whenever a Land Surveyor places or replaces a property marker or any other marker as provided for under the Professional Land Surveyors Act. As a general rule, the Corner Record is used to document the placement of a survey monument when the marker already appeared on a previously filed Corner Record or on a recorded ROS or a Subdivision Map. These are maps or records that are often required by state law. This will cause the mapping cost to increase, and requires the payment of checking and recording fees.

Thinking about doing a lot split?

Many people choose to subdivide land so that they can sell or develop the separate parcels for profit, although you may also be interested in subdivision for gifting land to family or other purposes. Whatever your reason for subdividing property, the following is a guide of how the process works.

  1. Make initial plans: After ensuring that there are no liens on the property to be subdivided, get in touch with your local planning and development office to obtain information about applicable restrictions and ordinances that you’ll need to comply with.
  2. Devise a subdivision plan: With help from a developer, civil engineer, or other qualified professional, design a plan about how the land will be divided, including the number of subdivisions, and how roads and power will reach the properties.
  3. Hire a land surveyor: A land surveyor is needed to create what’s known as a plat map for the property. The plat map will show the divided area, including details about the provision of utilities, sewage, a road network, etc.
  4. Submit documents for approval: The initial plat map, along with other necessary documents, are submitted for approval to the proper government agencies. Agency approval can take some time and may require meeting submitting additional materials depending on the land, your subdivision plans, and environmental regulations.

Walsh Engineering & Surveying, Inc. will do each step of this process for you from the initial research to filling out the applications and submitting documents to the County or City offices.